Sunday, March 15, 2015

After the End Review


Quick Summary:
Thirty years ago World War III occurred. Juneau's clan escaped to Alaska though and the children grew up with the horrors of knowing the rest of the world was destroyed. There they lived safely. However, they were always scared other survivors would come and take what they have built for themselves. One day, 17 year old Juneau goes hunting. When she comes back, everybody in her clan is gone. She ventures out of their borders to try and find them but when she does, she learns World War III never happened. Instead, the world is completely in tact. Now, Juneau must try and survive this strange modern world while trying to find her clan.

When I first heard about Amy Plum's After the End, I absolutely loved the concept. I thought it was so interesting and wanted to read it so badly. However, I didn't really enjoy it. The writing is pretty weak, in my opinion, there's an odd magic quality that seemed out of place to me, and I was never fully pulled into the story. That's probably why it took me longer to finish this book than the past few books I've read. It may be a shorter book, but it took a lot more effort for me to read it. Instead, I was falling asleep as I read. I was really disappointed with this book. They never mention the magic aspect in the summaries so I'm going to warn you now about it. I can't even explain it because I don't understand how it was put into this book. There was also a romance that I couldn't really get into, but I did understand Miles' thinking she's crazy. However, there was a part where he said "She makes me want to be a better person." I rolled my eyes so hard at this party. It was so cliché, I could not stand it. Juneau was a very strong character but she also bothered me at times. I think what's keeping me from hating this book was Juneau's love for animals and the interesting concept.

Not sure just yet if I'm going to read the second book, Until the Beginning, but it comes out May 5th.

3 comments:

  1. So you wouldn't recommend reading it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on you I think, I'm glad I read it because I was always curious about it. It's not too long and I'll probably never say don't read a book because even if it's bad, you'll learn something. I just didn't enjoy it but I'm sure other people have liked it and I say good for them!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your answer <3 I thin I'll give it a try

      Delete