Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Queen of the Tearling Review


Quick Summary:
On her nineteenth birthday, Kelsea is taken back to her rightful throne. She was raised in secrecy being taught everything a queen should know. Plain and a lover of books, she is the complete opposite of her, now dead, mother. The neighboring lands, Mortmesne, are ruled by the Red Queen, who wants her country and the powerful sapphire that hangs around Kelsea's neck. The Tearling is in a time of poverty and unrest and Kelsea must figure out a way to save her country, all while being threatened by assassins and even a traitor within her guard.

This book was recommended to me and I will be forever grateful that it was. The first in a series, I was blown away by The Queen of the Tearling. You have to be willing to not fully know the setting as it's high fantasy but it also contains references to America and England. That made me really curious and I hope we find out more about the setting. Something I really loved about this book was that there wasn't romance. Instead, it's about this girl learning how to rule her country fairly while having to defend it from a constant threat. Even though Kelsea isn't very physically strong, she is incredibly strong emotionally. She defies the classic female roles in her world which made me extremely happy, as I love strong female characters. I'm sure there will be more romance in the later books but I was really glad that they made her being queen the focus. I thought it was perfectly paced and you can tell she's rising up to become an incredible ruler. Plus I believe Emma Watson is going to be an executive producer for the movie and I've heard a couple rumors of her playing Kelsea!

The next book, The Invasion of the Tearling, comes out June 9th!

P.S. If you want a better summary go to Goodreads! I try my best but Goodreads is great for extra info!

No comments:

Post a Comment