Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Zenith Review


When I first met Sasha, I had no idea where life would take her! We met during volleyball tryouts freshman year and were both too intimidated by the coach to continue the sport lol. I'm so proud of where she's gotten in life though!!! <3 <3 <3

Zenith is the first part to a series by Sasha Alsberg and Lindsay Cummings, Andi is the captain of the all-female crew of the spaceship, The Marauder. She's called the Bloody Baroness and when her ship is captured by someone from her past, she's sent on an unexpected journey. Meanwhile, Nor, the ruler of a planet across the galaxy is plotting a vicious plan.

This book was a lot of set up, which made me upset when it ended so quickly. It's just the first part of the saga and it definitely left me wanting for more. Who wouldn't be excited about space pirates!? And they're all women and unashamedly brutal. So far, there's not too many male main characters and I love it. Strong women are something I always get excited about and so far it's being done very well in Zenith. I'm so excited for the next part because this was just an introduction to the characters and the storyline and I can't wait to see where everything goes. It has a lot of potential to grow and stand out as an incredible sci-fi novel. I look forward to seeing how the Mirabel Galaxy is laid out and built, as world building has always been one of my favorite things when I read.

One thing that kind of bothered me was the use of the word "fike". It was supposed to replace the f-word, but anytime the word was used I didn't think it worked correctly. The characters so far are brutal and aren't afraid to kill, there was lots of blood and the word "fike" just didn't match up with that for me. I needed the dark and grittiness in the imagery and vocabulary to match up a bit more. I'm also more mature (19) so I hear the f-word a lot more in daily life, so I get that to a younger audience they might not be as bothered by it. That's just my opinion though.

Overall, Zenith has so much potential in my mind. I just wish I could read it all at once instead of having to wait!

Zenith is currently an ebook, so go download it from amazon, iBooks, or any online store right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment