Tuesday, March 24, 2015

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Review


Charlie is an incoming freshman who starts writing letters to a stranger. He is socially awkward and always on the outskirts. Through his letters he tells this "friend" about his journey through friendships, dating, drugs, alcohol, sex, and family issues. His intelligence and observations give a new perspective on high school and making it through life's struggles.

Wow. So I majorly regret seeing the movie first. I usually read the book before seeing the movie so I'm not sure why I didn't with Stephen Chbosky's The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I loved the movie but I loved the book even more. It has so many more smaller details that also mean a lot that wasn't in the movie and I felt like I got to know some of the characters more. Even though it takes place in the early nineties, I feel like everybody who's gone through or going through high school can take something away from this story. It has a little for everybody. Anybody who has ever felt on the outside or a little awkward will sympathize with Charlie and want him to be happy. I just wanted to hug each character at certain points. I cried at the ending.

Quick story: When the movie came out everybody I knew had already seen it. I really really wanted to see it though. My mom was out of town and so I asked my stepdad to take me. I think that was the only time I have ever seen him cry. He really enjoyed it as well and I was really happy we went together.

This book should definitely be read by everyone, as it will touch on the importance of honesty and many social issues. It's a quick read too, so please read it if you find the time.

The movie is also great and it has Emma Watson! She is a goddess. It also has Nina Dobrev from The Vampire Diaries. She played Charlie's sister and I wish she had a bigger role in the movie because I ended up really liking her in the book.

Gah! Just please read the book, it was incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment