Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Just One Day Review

Note: I feel like I have been apologizing for my slacking so much lately. I'm currently working on the Game of Thrones books which is a heck of a project. I'm nearly done with the fourth book though and then I'll take a break and read two shorter books. Then, I'm going to read the fifth book and I'll be done! I'll probably be able to go quicker through books then. Anyways, here starts the actual review now.


In Gayle Forman's Just One Day, Allyson is traveling through Europe on a post-graduation tour when on her last day she meets Willem. A boy obsessed with traveling accidents, he invites her to Paris. This leads to just one day together in Paris.

Alrighty, while I enjoyed Gayle Forman's If I Stay a lot, this book kind of annoyed me. However, I believe there's a reason for this. I had just finished the third Game of Thrones, a very mature book, and I felt like I needed something light and easy. I've had Just One Day for a while now, so I thought it'd be the perfect book. However, this was much too easy and light. I felt like it was too immature. I was used to the intenseness of Game of Thrones. There were quite a few things that annoyed me about this book though.

This is actually probably going to have some spoilers, sorry! I just need to describe what I disliked about the book.

So I could not understand how this girl could hate traveling through Europe! This was an insane gift from her parents and even though it may be a little too structured to truly experience where they were visiting, Allyson still hated the trip. Like what??? And then she decides to go to Paris with a guy she just met. While he might not have been a serial killer, he could have been!!!! That is so stupid. Then, they do random stupid stuff in Paris (in my opinion), they don't really see much of the city. They go on a canal ride (which is actually really cool, I did it in France as well), they go to a park, fall asleep on the grass, fight some guys, go to dinner, and then have sex in this art house thing. I'm sorry but if I had only one day in Paris, I would see as much of it as possible instead of napping in a park with a guy I just met. I don't care if you don't go to the Eiffel Tower or the Louvre or the other touristy places, but walk around and see as much as you can and observe the culture of this incredible city!

Okay then, when she wakes up alone in that art house thing and waits quite a while for Willem, her freakout is perfectly understandable. However, then when she goes to college (months later!!!) she is still so broken hearted and has no will power to do anything. She is so self absorbed about this guy she knew for a freaking day!!!!! I'm sorry but you need to get over yourself at one point. Boys aren't the end of the world. Your happiness should not solely rely on this guy, you once again knew for only a day. I understand her parents were insane and controlling, but I felt like she seriously needed to grow some backbone and actually stand up for her own desires for once.

I liked the ending of the book a little more because she did start taking classes she actually wanted to and made a friend. She also stood up to her mom and got this really great job to save up money to get a trip back to Paris. I thought she was really independent finally and acting more grownup. Then, when she went to Paris she started to actually enjoy the culture (finally!). However, another thing that bothered me: everybody was WAY too helpful and nice to her. Everybody she met and she told her story to was like "OMG you poor darling let me help you with your quest with this convenient knowledge I have!" Literally every person she met was perfectly nice to her and willing to help her even though they'd just met. A doctor even released a patient's address. I don't care how star-crossed and beautiful your story sounds, that is ILLEGAL! They should not be giving out personal information like that! Also, Allyson claiming she fell in love with Willem?? I'm sorry, but you barely know this boy. You don't know his likes or dislikes, his moral views, he might have an STD with the amount of girls he's had! Their day together did not seem enough to me to fall in love. I'm sorry but their relationship, if you can call it that, didn't do a single thing for me.

Sorry if I sound like I completely despised this book and you enjoyed it. I really do think it was just a way too cheesy book for me after I finished such a mature one. I will never be the type of person though who is offended if somebody enjoyed a book I didn't, so no judging if you enjoyed Just One Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment