Monday, March 23, 2015

The Diviners Review


It's 1926 and after being sent to New York for using her secret gift as a party trick, Evie is living with her Uncle Will. Except, he has an obsession with the occult. Evie likes to party at the speakeasies but she is soon involved with the creepy murders that are occurring. Other characters soon become involved. Including, Memphis, who is trying to run from his power. Theta, a girl running from her past. Sam, a thief with a secret. Jericho with an unexpected mystery. Characters intertwine as something even more evil begins to surface.

Libba Bray's The Diviners was not what I expected to be perfectly honest. It was a lot more paranormal and horror than summaries would make you think. I also relearned why I don't usually read paranormals. And that's because they freak me out! Finishing the book at one in the morning was not my greatest idea. I thought the book was good enough, but it's definitely not my favorite genre so I don't think I enjoyed it as some people might. It's actually really scary and should not be read alone in the middle of the night. However, the book was funny at times too. I actually laughed out loud a couple of times. The main character, Evie, who annoyed me in the beginning, grew on me and I ended up really liking her. She does like attention, but she's also extremely brave, smart, funny, and kind. I enjoyed that this fault stayed throughout the book and wasn't immediately dropped. You learn to like her with her flaws instead. Overall, I enjoyed the book but it's definitely not one of my favorites.

Despite my being freaked out, I think I will read the second book which is called Lair of Dreams and comes out August 25.

No comments:

Post a Comment