Monday, July 17, 2017

Spider-Man Homecoming Review

I saw the newest Spider-Man on Friday with a couple friends and so here's my review for it!

This will be free of all major spoilers, but will have some minor ones!




While Tom Holland looks younger than Andrew Garfield and Tobey Maguire, he certainly does not look as if he's fifteen in this movie like he's supposed to be. However, age inaccuracy in tv/movies is an issue that I will not be able to defeat so ignoring that...

I LOVED this movie! It brought back the spider-man light humor that the Andrew Garfield ones majorly lacked and had much better acting (and actors in my opinion) than Tobey Maguire's (sorry I'm not a Maguire fan).

The Marvel movies can be really dark at times and sometimes that is the more realistic way when superheros exist, but it can also get to be too much for me. Peter is a kid and he really shouldn't have to deal with the tragedies that the Avengers have had to face. Tony encourages him to be the friendly neighborhood Spider-Man instead and I really agreed with that.

He's still making a difference in helping the people who often get overlooked, but he does need to experience high school and all of its own unique issues.

I just thought this movie covered that idea so well. While the Avengers movies focus on the huge issues, we often need to be reminded to pay attention to what else is going on. Somebody should also be protecting the individuals, instead of just the whole.

While Robert Downey Jr had a minor role, I thought it was actually very instrumental to his character. He referenced his father a few times and you could see that he saw Peter as a son-like figure. He's attempting to guide him in a way that his own father never did. Tony might have his issues, but he tries to work on them which is the most important part. I loved seeing this side of his character and can't wait for more of their dynamic.

I laughed so many times throughout this with the Chris Evans cameo being my absolute favorite.

Zendaya was superb. I really enjoyed how she isn't a huge character yet. Instead, she's there and you fall in love with her character and her individuality. I thought she and Peter were going to have their romance and all in this, but it wasn't the focus! There is romance since they're in highschool and it's near homecoming, but you are able to care about the characters first before the major romance is added (as I suspect it will be in later movies). This is such a buildup for her and I can't wait for more focus to be on her.

I think it's so important to like someone as a character rather than as Spider-Man's significant other which is why I'm so glad they didn't rush into forcing a relationship.

I actually started missing high school during this. More because I miss having so much free time and no responsibilities, but I also missed certain high school experiences.

This is also one of the more realistic teenager movies. It's such a central part of the humor so I can't describe it well, but I loved how relatable it was.

Heads up: There are TWO after-credit scenes so stay until they've all been shown!

P.S. If you haven't seen Tom Holland's lip sync battle, here's a link because it truly changed my life.


This movie earned 5 out of 5 stars from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment