Friday, July 21, 2017

Invictus ARC Review

I absolutely loved Ryan Graudin's previous series, Wolf by Wolf, so when I saw she was coming out with a new book, I was so excited. This was on the top of my list and I'm so grateful I got the chance to read it!




Summary: Farway lives in the twenty-fourth century and time travel has been discovered. Traveling through time is everything Far has ever wanted partially because he wants to find his mother who was lost on an expedition. However after failing his final exam, he receives an offer from somebody in the black market. He's able to form a crew and captain his own ship. When a heist on the Titanic is interrupted by a mysterious girl, they are thrown into a dangerous situation that bends their previously thought ideas on time and its rules.

I thought this book was AMAZING. It's just so well done. I don't know where to start with everything I loved about it. There was such great adventure and enjoyable kinds. It reminded me of a mix between Star Trek The Original Series and the newer movies because of its enthusiasm for exploration, but has the movie side of having one big issue to deal with.

The ship is called, The Invictus, hence the book name. Their ship family is the best too. Each character gets attention and their relationships get attention. I find that in a lot of books people claim to be bestfriends, but I never see proof. They don't show their friendship, it's just a lot of telling. In here, I see the bonds. Priya and Imogen, for example, doodle in the official time travel organization's rule book after each of their missions. I believed the relationships and that's so important to me when they say they're a "family."

They were also supportive of each other. Sure they get on each other's nerves, but they support and try for the best. Far is described as being really arrogant and having a big ego but when he might've offended Gram, he apologizes. He doesn't let his ego blind him from seeing the emotions of his crew.

Another thing I was so glad to see was there wasn't a love triangle. I felt like there was going to be with Far, Priya, and Eliot, but there wasn't! I was so relieved because that drama can get so annoying when there are much more interesting things going on. Instead, we could learn much more about their world.

The time travel rules are really well thought out. If it existed in our world, all of this book would've made so much sense (at least to me, I don't have a science/math/engineering mind). It flowed well with the story where it didn't take precedence but when necessary, you understand their world. Details were seamlessly added into the plot.

I love history and so I envied these characters so much and their ability to see it all. When I was in Athens or Rome, I yearned to have seen the cities in their prime. Athens especially because the Acropolis was one of the coolest things I've ever experienced. I took Latin in highschool and university though so I do have a special appreciation for Rome and enjoyed Invictus's coverage of it. I just wish we could've also seen some Ancient Athens.

One of my favorite touches was that there was a red panda. They are such adorable creatures and I loved how it became their ship's pet!

Me: Sequel? Sequel? SEQUEL????

I absolutely adored this book and could not put it down! It comes out September 26th and I beg you to read it!

5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment