Friday, July 28, 2017

Wonder Woman: Warbringer ARC Review

This was one ARC that I didn't think I'd be able to get my hands on so when I did, I had to read it immediately!

There will be no spoilers in this review!




Summary: Meet Diana before she becomes Wonder Woman and is still just a girl wanting to prove herself worthy of the Amazon title. When she saves a mortal, Alia, and brings her back to Themyscira, it quickly becomes clear that she messed with a dark power that originates with Helen of Troy; for Alia is a Warbringer. This power threatens to bring ruin to the world and Alia and Diana are determined to stop it. Both must unite and face what they previously believed impossible.

My first mistake: Part of me assumed that this would be connected to the movie. It's not, but I just thought since they're released so close together that it was possible. My mind kept looking for connections as I was reading and I quickly realized I'd been wrong. I'm totally okay with them not being related, I just wanted to make it clear for those who might make a similar mistake.

This book was AMAZING. The characters are wonderful and well-rounded, female friendship takes a prominent role, there's varying levels of good where the motives make sense. It is funny but with some superb meaningful moments.

Here are a few quotes that I loved:

"'Google,' Diana repeated. 'Is Google one of your gods?'"

"'It's the people who never learn the word impossible who make history, because they're the ones who keep trying.'"

"'I am immortal and you are a footnote.'"

Leigh Bardugo was the perfect person to write this, she wrote in so many important issues in need of more discussion. It has a beautifully diverse character list where romance is not the most important part. Instead, their friendships are valued much higher. They are strong and support each other.

Diana is not afraid to call out bullshit and I loved it. While this is a Wonder Woman book, all of the characters receive attention. They were just as important to the story.

This was also awesome in its Helen of Troy history. I found it so unique and wanted to do some research of my own. She was such a central part of the Trojan War yet she is typically just written off with no actual attention put on her. Instead, the warriors and commanders are focused on. Bardugo brought Helen back into light for me and made me think more critically about this war. I now want to read more about Greek myths, the Trojan War, and the Amazons.

I don't want to spoil or hint to too much so this is a much shorter review than usual. Just know that it is amazing and 100% worth your time and money to read.

I haven't read Six of Crows yet, but my admiration for Bardugo in this has just majorly motivated me.

Wonder Woman: Warbringer will be released August 29, 2017 so please preorder it or go buy it as soon as it comes out!

5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment