Monday, July 31, 2017

Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda Review

I was attempting to prep for the Becky Albertalli signing and checked out Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda. I wanted to read both of her books, but The Upside of Unrequited was checked out from the library for like a month straight so I still need to read that one.

Simon is being made into a movie if you didn't know, so go read it before the movie comes out!



Summary: It's Simon's junior year of high school and he's still in the closet but when the class-clown, Martin, sees his private emails, everything becomes jeopardized. For Martin begins to blackmail Simon into being his wingman so that his emails to Blue, the nickname for another closeted gay kid, will stay safe. Since it's high school, everything becomes much more dramatic and complicated.

I enjoyed Simon, but it wasn't a book that I was in love with. It was cute, funny, had the quirks of high school, and got pretty meaningful about being gay in the south. I just didn't become obsessed with what happened next and I'm trying to reserve my five stars for those now.

There was one thing that annoyed me and it was how the characters kept calling tumblr, "the tumblr." It felt like that scene in the movie, The Internship, where the middle aged men keep calling it "on the line," as one of the college aged kids keeps trying to correct him that it's just "online." (I loved that movie, go watch it because it has hipster Dylan O'Brien in it). Not a huge issue at all, but I just cringed every time it popped up.

I think this was the first book I've read that's centered around a theater kid and had a lot to do with that group in high school. I really enjoyed this kind of setting despite the fact that I was never a theater kid. It really captured the nostalgia of high school, but also the drawbacks and awkwardness in it at the same time.

Friendship and family were very important themes that were interesting to watch as Simon tried to balance what would happen if he came out. You knew they would be supportive, but I enjoyed how Simon made you think about how that's not all there is to worry about when coming out.

This was a fun, quirky, and light read. It might not be a favorite, but it was a feel-good one. I enjoyed Albertalli's writing style and look forward to reading The Upside of Unrequited!

4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment