Thursday, June 22, 2017

This Adventure Ends Review

I'd seen This Adventure Ends on netgalley before it came out and it looked so good to me! Except when I requested it, I was declined. Thus, I had to wait for its release and boy was it worth it.





Summary: When Sloane moves to Florida for her senior year, she doesn't expect much. Yet, she quickly finds herself intensely involved with the twins, Vera and Gabe. They pull her into their lives and friendships. When one of their dead mother's paintings accidentally gets sold, Sloane dedicates herself to getting it back for them. It becomes a journey of friendships, family, romance, finding oneself, and moving on.

Firstly, look at this beautiful cover. It was immediately what drew me to this book. It was lucky that it had a kicka$$ story to back it up. Seriously, as much as we say not to judge a book by its cover, we all do. It's the first thing you see and is the equivalent of a first impression for a job interview because it'll always be remembered.

I honestly expected it to become about an unhealthy relationship by the summary I read on goodreads. It faintly reminded me of other books I'd read where the quiet unknown girl gets in with the popular crowd and then realizes they're actually bad people and she'd be better with the other "losers." NUH UH. That's not this book! Yes there's some problematic things that happen in the relationships, but they were recognized. Every relationship has flaws and that doesn't necessarily make them bad. The friendships in this book were actually really beautiful and weren't about putting each other down.

One of my favorite parts is when they do say some hurtful things to each other. I know for me personally that no matter who I'm friends with or related to, there are always certain things about them that bother me. It's natural and normal! What makes a really great friendship/relationship is being honest (in a nice way preferably), accepting each other's flaws, and understanding that despite the pet peeves, they love each other.

I will say, there's a difference between pet peeves and then getting into the hurtful and abusive side of reacting to agitations. This book did not get into the unhealthy side, thankfully.

Sloane's character was witty and oh so sarcastic. She was really fun to read. Her dad was my favorite though. He was quirky and odd, but also very honest and loving. He showed the audience a different kind of dad who isn't uber manly and dull. I always became excited for his scenes.

I did find it a little odd though on how dedicated Sloane became to getting this painting back because that's pretty big for new(ish) friends. Besides this, I found her such a realistically flawed character that I related to. She had so much honest truth in her. I have always liked the "tough on the outside, softie on the inside" kind of character and Sloane filled it out so well.

For a book that you're enjoying so much you don't realize until you're deep into it how meaningful it really is, This Adventure Ends is the one for you. It ends up super real about friendships and the uncertainty of who you are.

This was a really great fun quirky summer read for me where I enjoyed all the meanings and characters. It's a high recommend from me.

5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment