Friday, June 9, 2017

Study Abroad Bookhaul

I left the US with zero books and managed to come back with twenty-two, not including any kindle books purchased. Considering this was over six months, I'd say I really restrained myself.




This is all in no specific order because I can't even remember the order I bought these in.


The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Blackwells had way too many good deals on books. I have an intense interest in anything Russian and when it was described as JK Rowling, but Russian style I couldn't help but give in. I have not read this one yet.


Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven

I loved All the Bright Places and while I haven't read this one by Jennifer Niven, I am very excited to!


Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

We talked about Stevenson a fair amount in my Scottish Lit class and this story has always been one that I've wanted to read, so I finally purchased it. Have not read this yet though!


Life and Fate by Vasily Grossman

Another Russian novel I couldn't help myself from purchasing. Have not read yet!


The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells

Fun story of this and Mrs Dalloway, which is below: I was in Naples, Italy with a friend and we were waiting for our train back to Rome. Our tour to Pompeii had ended early enough that we were unsure what to do so we decided to get a spritz at a nearby bar. We only wanted one drink and yet the guy gave us the leftovers of the half bottle of prosecco he used in each drink. We each got a little tipsy when we didn't want to be rude by leaving the extra behind. It was ONE drink that ended up being a half bottle each! We then went into the train bookstore to continue wasting time where I rambled on about every book I recognized and ended up purchasing War of the Worlds and Mrs Dalloway on a whim from the English section. The alcohol definitely played a role. We sobered up on the train ride back to Rome though and it was all good. My friends found it funny that alcohol just makes me buy books.

Have not read yet!


Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

A friend in the English Lit class told me she really enjoyed Mrs Dalloway and when tipsy me saw it in the Italian bookstore, I just had to have it. See the story above! Have not read yet!


The Edinburgh Anthology of Scottish Literature 2

A required reading for my Scottish Lit class! I've read parts of the stories and poems in this, but not the whole anthology!


Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

Check out my review for this here. I mentioned there that I purchased this in a bookstore on Santorini in Greece. A great read!


Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer

Another purchase from the Santorini bookstore, it was a quick read. Review for it is soon to be up!


The Girls by Emma Cline

Since we spent over $50 in the Santorini bookstore with my books and gifts for the family back home, we received a free copy of The Girls. I've seen this book around a lot so I'm interested, but have not read yet!


A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J Maas

This came out while I was still in Scotland and with Sarah J Maas being one of my favorite authors, I'd obviously had it preordered to my dorm so I could read it immediately. My review for it is here.


The Muse by Jessie Burton

Bought for me by my parents in a bookstore in St Andrews, you can check out my review for it here. It was overall an okay read.


A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Recommended to me by one of my friends who loved it, it was the other book that my parents bought for me in St Andrews. While I saw why some people enjoyed it, I didn't really. I think I'm over the star-crossed supernatural lovers concept a bit and just didn't find myself caring about it much. That's my personal preference though so I didn't dislike it because it was bad per say. Up to you to make your opinion about this one!


I, Claudius by Robert Graves

When I was in Greece and got to explore so many archaeological sites I so badly wanted a book that took place in Ancient Greece. Unfortunately most people have focused on Ancient Rome and so while I didn't find quite what I wanted, I'm still excited to read I, Claudius!

If you have any Ancient Greece recommendations, please let me know in the comments!


Laurus by Eugene Vodolazkin

Another Russian book that intrigued me enough to purchase it. While it was a good read, it was a little slow.


The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Got an awesome deal on this book in Blackwells and we talked a lot about Dostoevsky when I was in Russia so I really want to read more of his work.


The House with the Green Shutters by George Douglas Brown

Read this for my Scottish Lit class and wrote a paper on it. It was really good actually. Very entertaining and a fun book to annotate as you read it. One of the easiest papers I've ever written because I enjoyed the book so much.


Jernigan by David Gates

When I was in Paris I bought this from the infamous Shakespeare & Company bookstore! It was beautiful and my first stop for when I arrived. I bought this one from their used section as it looked super interesting and I was too broke at the time to buy something new. Have not read it yet though!


Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh

This was made into a movie and has been a beloved Edinburgh film ever since. I was there when the second movie was coming out and the hype persuaded me into buying the book. I have not read it yet though because it's apparently written in the Scots dialect and I'm a little intimidated by that.


The Diary of A Young Girl by Anne Frank

An amazing read. I was going to Amsterdam and I knew I wanted to read the actual book before seeing the Anne Frank House. It was a great decision because it made the experience all the more tangible. Check out my thoughts here.


The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Another book discussed by my Scottish Lit class, although I think Wilde was English (the two classes overlapped a lot). It was a really good book and filled with super interesting characters.


The Master of Ballantrae by Robert Louis Stevenson

Once again, another book read for my Scottish Lit class. I enjoyed this one less than the others though. It was just okay really. Deals with the Jacobites though, if you're interested in that part of history!

No comments:

Post a Comment