Monday, June 19, 2017

As You Wish Review

I was super intrigued by this book by Chelsea Sedoti when I read the summary and would like to thank netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.

As You Wish is set to be released January 2, 2018.





Summary: In a tiny town, called Madison, in the Mojave Desert, everybody gets one wish. On their eighteenth birthday they wish on a well and it will always come true. Eldon's wish day is coming up and he doesn't know what to wish for. He's seen wishes for love and money, but it often just leads to more unhappiness. It's a journey to figure out what he wants and how to get it without regrets or consequences.

This was an okay read in my opinion. The main character, Eldon, is not the most likeable but I think Sedoti did a great job navigating that balance between feeling bad for him and also realizing that he's really not perfect. However, he could be a little too much of a jerk and there wasn't enough on the other side to balance out the sexism. It was just super male, I guess.

It was a great concept about how this one town in America has the ability to grant wishes. The whole town has to come together about keeping it a secret too. There are rules to wishing to retain the secrecy.

I was left with a lot of questions still about if it is possible to break the wishing rules. I think Sedoti could/should do a prequel where you actually learn about the well. This book left a lot unfinished and unanswered in regards to that.

It was a lot more emotional than I expected too. Like it gets really into about moving on and the different ways to reach happiness. It's also big on the "be careful what you wish for" concept. Being happy is a lot more difficult than just wishing for it.

This book is also a good message about how what you want when you're eighteen might not last for forever. Your wants will change as you mature.

I predicted the ending, which was a little disappointing because I was hoping for a good twist where what I expected wouldn't happen, but no. It made sense, but was also a little too boring.

As You Wish had a lot of good meanings in it, but its predictability and the amount of unanswered questions caused me to drop my rating.

4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment