Friday, June 16, 2017

Genuine Fraud Review

One of the best books I've ever read was E. Lockhart's We Were Liars. I managed to get a hold of the ARC for her next book, Genuine Fraud which is supposed to be released September 5, 2017. Now I had high expectations for this next book, which is also a stand-alone.




Summary: Imogen is a runaway heiress, an orphan, a cook, and a cheat.
Jule is a fighter, a social chameleon, and an athlete. 
An intense friendship. A disappearance. A murder, or maybe two. 
A bad romance, or maybe three.
Blunt objects, disguises, blood, and chocolate. The American dream, superheroes, spies, and villains. 
A girl who refuses to give people what they want from her.
A girl who refuses to be the person she once was.

This is the type of book that needs to be a little vague, so I decided to not use my own summary for it.

Anyways, this is a really good and unique book. I've never read anything like it. It's really rare for such an unapologetic bada$$ female to be the central character. She compares herself to being like a superhero and how the male ones never had to apologize or feel guilt, so why should she?

Genuine Fraud was set up in such a fascinating way because it starts in present day and then each part goes further and further back in time so you're trying to figure out how Jule ended up where she is. Slowly more information becomes available and you're able to piece it all together. It was really interesting because I couldn't help myself from making assumptions on what was going on and then I could see which assumptions were correct and which were wrong.

The backwards flow of it kind of disrupted seeing character development though. It made it kind of hard to follow along and changed my anticipation for what happens next. I think it was a little too short to tell the story too. I don't want to give away anything, but the ending just felt a little lacking to me. I can't see it being a series and I don't know how it could've ended better so I can't exactly explain my feelings about it. I don't know, you should all read it when it comes out and then tell me what you think!

I liked it because it was so different and really well done, but after finishing it I didn't feel much about it. I think it is time for something different in books though as I see the same models over and over again, which is why I would rate it so highly even if I wasn't super into the characters.

4.5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment