Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Annihilation Review

I bought Annihilation by Jeff VanderMeer at a bookstore in Santorini. Read about that amazing store here.

This was one suggested by the staff on one of their little notecards. I'm always up to try what other people enjoyed so I decided to take a chance on it.

This is the UK cover, I think, and the one I have.





Summary: A twelfth team is going into Area X, all the previous ones never returned in the same way. One group all committed suicide, another had all the members turn on each other in a rain of gunfire, the eleventh expedition's members all ended up with cancer upon their return. It's a mystery on what happened to this place that is completely overcome by nature. The twelfth expedition consists of the narrator who's a biologist, an anthropologist, a surveyor, and a psychologist. Their goal is to observe and record the environment, but it quickly becomes clear that Area X is a lot more difficult to understand.

The book was okay. It was weird and definitely different from any other sci-fi book I've read. You're struggling right alongside the characters as they try to figure out what this place is.

This is a harder review to write because I'm still very intrigued and a little confused by the mystery of it. The whole model is off-putting as it refuses to give names to any of the characters. They're only called by their titles like, "the psychologist" did this or "the surveyor" did that. It made it a little difficult to like any one character.

All of the team members are female, which is great. Yay for encouraging females in science!

If you want a really weird sci-fi book that you'll still be questioning weeks after reading, this is the one for you. I'm not sure I'll continue with the series though. It just didn't grasp me much. If I end up somehow with the second, I'll read it eventually but not right away.

This is a quick read as it's full of quick twists that you just want to figure out. I really enjoyed how unique of a read it was even if I wasn't super into it.

4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment