Monday, June 1, 2015

A Book of Spirits and Thieves Review



Morgan Rhodes’ A Book of Spirits and Thieves is a spin-off prequel to her other series, Falling Kingdoms. This series combines the fantasy world of Mytica and modern day Toronto. A mysterious and old book that’s written in an unknown language is delivered to the Hatcher family’s bookstore in Toronto. When Becca opens it, she’s sent into a coma and her sister Crys is left to discover the truth. Wealthy Farrell Grayson, in Toronto, is given the opportunity to prove himself when he’s taken in by the leader of a secret society. In Mytica, Maddox encounters a pretty girl that only he can see. Together they must try to take down the merciless goddess leader of Mytica to get this girl home.

To be perfectly honest I was a little skeptical as I began this book. I really enjoyed the first Falling Kingdoms but I don't really like the direction that series is going in. I also thought this book was a little cheesy in the beginning. Crys was making fun of her sister for reading, which I got a little offended by, and I didn't like their relationship. However, I was quickly wowed by some of the mature scenes in the book. It may not be one of my favorite books or one of the best I've ever read but I ended up really enjoying it. I also became wrapped up in the story and its characters.

I especially loved how when Crys and Becca are separated they realize they should have gotten to know each other better and that all they want is to see their sister again. I also became really interested in Farrell's character. He has this huge thirst to prove himself and it just leads him into a darker path. However, I still really like him and I'm curious as to if I'll continue to like him in the next book and how his character will continue to develop.

While you don't have to read Falling Kingdoms before this series, it's really interesting because there will be little hints and foreshadowing that I would always freak out about. I'm a big fan of when minor details end up becoming something bigger, so I loved that I could find them in A Book of Spirits and Thieves. The world building may not be the best I've ever seen but Mytica does seem very real to me. I'm not sure if that's from reading the first three Falling Kingdoms that I have enough detail to picture the world or if this book is also able to vividly portray their world. However, I definitely did feel like I was in Toronto in this book.

A Book of Spirits and Thieves comes out June 23rd so I hope you all give it a chance! I know I was pleasantly surprised by it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment