Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The Graces Review

Spoiler Free!


3 and a half stars out of 5!

Everybody is obsessed with the Grace family and River is no different, except she is convinced that she can be the one to keep their attention. They're believed to be witches, but is that true? Are they truly dangerous?

I have conflicted emotions about Laure Eve's The Graces. I thought the beginning was bad and nearly didn't finish. What kept me going was that I wanted to write a bad review so I made myself power through. It got a lot better the further in I went, so I feel bad for all the people like me who stopped reading.

The main character is originally portrayed as this super special little snowflake who was better than all the other girls. She was gross and overdramatic in my opinion. Also, incredibly creepy. She was obsessed with this family with thoughts like, "Every minute I spent in their company was loaded with my concentration, my constant study in how to make them like me." She was shallow and very self-absorbed.

However, the story got a lot better when you realized that she is an unreliable narrator and isn't meant to be loved by readers. That dramatically improved my reading, I soon wanted to know more and what would happen next. I did end up guessing the twist, but it was still a good one and I actually look forward now to the next book to see where that twist goes next.

It's become so rare for me to like the first book in a series now so I will read the next book and that will be a better judge for me to gage how I feel. It left off with a cliffhanger and a lot of potential to be a unique series, so if it follows through I will be pleased.

Overall, this book is worth a shot, but you have to work for it to become good.

No comments:

Post a Comment