Friday, April 3, 2015

The Girl of Fire and Thorns Series Review


Every hundred years, a chosen person is born with a Godstone. Elisa is one of these chosen. Except, she is a failure of a princess and chosen. Godstones are widely desired and many would kill her and rip it out of her or would love to be able to control her. Thus, she is secretly married to a king whose kingdom is in dire need of some saving. She's also desired by revolutionaries and a mysterious magical and savage enemy. Elisa must fight for her life and love, all while knowing most of the chosen die very young.

So that's mainly a summary for the first book, The Girl of Fire and Thorns, the second is called The Crown of Embers and the third is called The Bitter Kingdom. I figured I could do a series review as I just finished the last two books! I read the first a while ago and took the last two to California with me so I could finally finish the series. It's one of my friends favorite series and she's been pushing me for forever to finish, so I promised her I would during Spring Break.

I really enjoyed these books. It's extremely female empowering and the main character isn't perfectly thin and beautiful. She actually starts off quite overweight and she's hispanic! Not many YA books have overweight and hispanic main characters. It is high fantasy and I thought the world building was great, I could definitely picture each country by the third book. However, despite all of these positive aspects of the series, it's not one of my favorites. I definitely really liked them, they stood out, and I gave them all five stars on Goodreads, but I also found the third a little anticlimactic. I don't know if that was just me though. The first is definitely really different though compared to most YA books, which I really liked. Elisa is really strong, but can be a little annoyingly stubborn at times. However, I also really admire her and everything she went through (which was a lot!). There are an incredible amount of strong female characters. There is also a character who only has one eye but is still completely able to kick butt! Oh great character development as well!

I'm really happy I finished the series, but it's just not one of my favorites unfortunately. However, I still say you should all read it cause it's really unique and empowering! I feel like I should love this series so much, but I'm not sure why I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment