Friday, July 31, 2015

The Darkest Minds Review


When a mysterious disease kills the majority of America's children, it changes the ones who survive. Something that caused Ruby's parents to lock her in the garage and send her to a brutal government rehabilitation camp on the morning of her tenth birthday. The children who survive have strange abilities. There's the blues who are telekinetic, the yellows who control electricity, the greens who are more intelligent than average, and the oranges who can control minds. Now, Ruby is sixteen and finally escapes the camp. She joins a group of other kids who are trying to find East River, a safe haven for kids like them. There's Liam, who quickly falls for her, but she can't allow herself to get close to someone again. When they reach the camp, it is more than originally believed and they aren't safe yet.

The Darkest Minds is a really highly rated book on Goodreads and I'd been meaning to read it for so long and I finally got to it. I really enjoyed this book, I thought it was very well written and I was definitely left wanting the next book. However, I don't think it was incredible. A really common problem I have with books is love interests. I don't know why, but it's usually what holds me back in books. They're usually unconvincing in my mind and I was just never convinced in this book again. I think I have a thing for the darker guys and Liam was too optimistic for me and trying too hard to be the perfect guy in my opinion. I know loads of people who love him though so don't let my feelings turn you away!

While The Darkest Minds was written first, I had read The Young Elites first and so I was strongly reminded of this other book as I was reading. There was a widespread disease and the ones who survived gained powers. I enjoyed The Young Elites more, because of how much darker it was. I absolutely loved that book, so this one just wasn't as great in my opinion.

I found the ending to be fantastic though, and I hope the next books don't make the series too light and have too much of a happy ending. I honestly think the only really happy endings I can handle are ones in realistic fiction. That's when I enjoy the cutesy romance stuff. I'm trying to think about my feelings for Ruby, the main character, and I feel really bad for her. She's gone through a lot and was completely isolated from boys for so long, that I can see her falling for the first cute nice boy she sees. For once I'm kind of hoping for a love triangle in the next books, because I want her to realize there's more to the world than just Liam. A series that did this amazingly was Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi.

All in all, this book was really good, despite my problems. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars and I will read the sequel, but I hope it will be darker and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment